It was a cold (by Sydney standards), windy and overcast day last Saturday and I was feeling sad from listening to the news about the death of so many people, including 35 Australian citizens and residents, from the air disaster in Ukraine.
After a morning snuggled in bed with “the boys” I thought some sewing would be a good remedy for my mood. Time to get moving and finish the wonky improv log cabins. Rather then just back and bind them as small pieces, I decided to put them together in a quilt. As you may remember from this post, this series started from implementing some ideas from a Gwen Marston workshop that I attended this time last year.
When I started doing this I was concentrating on each small “sketch” so I hadn’t given much thought to what to do with them afterward. This has created a dilemma as to how to unify different pieces and fabrics into something that looks ok as a whole piece. Taking my inspiration from several quilts that I saw on Pinterest, I am using various neutral fabrics, also in an improv way, to turn each small piece into a 12.5 inch block.
Here are the 1st four blocks.
I’ve done eight now and will probably end up with a quilt of 60″ by 60″. Unfortunately, the only place I have room for a design wall is in the long narrow corridor near my front door, which has poor lighting so it’s hard to get a good picture. I’m reasonably happy thus far – it won’t be my most exciting creation, but it has been a good learning experience.
I have posted before about “the boys”, particularly Cosmo, loving my cutting table. Well the week-end was no different, and this time Pepe also joined in. I would lift one down and then the other would jump up to join in the fun – they, of course, thought that a lovely pile of crisp, clean neutral(!) fabric was a great place to nestle.
In the end I had to put them in my flatmate’s bedroom and close the door – I was afraid that I would end up with an amputated tail or paw if they continued to join in the fun.