I’m pleased to say that I have now finished the wonky blocks for my orange(ish) improv quilt. I originally thought I would make it a square 60″ x 60″, but have decided to go with a 48 x 60 lap quilt.
I have been worried about how it would look when all the blocks were placed together as it wasn’t originally intended to be a quilt. As I wrote about in this post, this project started as a design exercise based on some thoughts I had after a Gwen Marston workshop I attended last year.
With the help of some friends I laid it out on a table this morning and after a couple of attempts this is what we came up with. There were about 5 blocks that didn’t make the final “cut”. Some just seemed slightly off – I’ll use them for pillows or potholders! Apologies for the poor quality photo – it was a table at work and the light was poor. I’ll take another photo when I have pieced the blocks together. I think it will be ok but am reserving my judgement until I have stitched it together.I couldn’t use my design wall as “the boys” kept jumping up and pulling the blocks down! I am trying to teach them that the nice fluffy design wall is NOT a big scratching post, but I’m a dismal failure at this point.
I will hopefully stitch the blocks together tonight, piece a back tomorrow night, and then baste and quilt over the week-end. Pepe and Cosmo will need to be kept in another room while that is happening – all that fluffy batting will be just too much of a temptation!