After initial reservations about how it would look when I pieced all the improv blocks together, I’ve decided that I really like it. I think of each block as a little work of art – some of them have more than 20 individual pieces. I fell in love with some of them all over again when I was hand stitching the binding.
You may remember the original concept was based on 3 key ideas:
- predominant use of one colour in a warm palette
- improv in style
- log cabin(ish) blocks
I ended up straying from the concept a little along the way, but the overall quilt still contains those elements.
Given the front is so “busy” I went for a minimally pieced back, although I kept the improv concept going and added some inserts to the sides.
The centre panel on the back is an Alexander Henry fabric called Fairyland.
I’m not into fairies, but I just loved the colours when I saw this fabric and bought it not knowing what I would use it for. I think it works well as the back.I quilted it by stitching in the ditch for the big 12″ blocks, and then again around some of the individual pieces in each block. This has created abstract patterns on the back of the quilt. I must admit quilting is my least favourite of the process and I’m not very good at it.