As I posted recently I have multiple projects that need to be created and completed by the end of January and several before Christmas. “Bright Star” is the first finish – a baby quilt for a colleague!
I try and learn something new each project and I’ve been wanting to try stars for a while. I saw this block on Pinterest by Karen of Blueberry Park blog and decided to make a big version into a baby quilt.
This involved a bit or trial and error, particularly seeing maths isn’t my strong point. I was about to do the usual half-square triangle method when I realized that it wouldn’t work when doing it as a whole quilt because I would only need one copy of each finished square. I improvised and cut the half triangle pieces separately at a 45′ angle and then paired them up and sewed a 1/4″ seam. I was very pleased that they didn’t seem to stretch.
Each block started at 11″ and I then trimmed them down.
The individual squares ended up being approx 10″. I played with the colour combinations on my design wall and decided to go bright and spotty.I was pretty pleased with how I went matching my points and only ended up losing part of one point in a seam. By my standards that’s not bad (I don’t think the baby will notice!).
I didn’t want to lose the star points in the binding, so added a slim white border.
I like to piece my backs and just went with some matching red, white and blue print by Ann Kelle called Urban Zoologie from Robert Kaufman.
I must remember to keep my selvedges so that I know the name of the fabrics that I use. I tend to cut them off and toss them before I remember to write down the fabric name.
I’m still an (almost) straight line quilter and I quilted the outline shapes of each part of the overall design – triangles, squares in the corners and then outline quilted the star shape.
Overall I’m pleased with this one and am now keen to try some smaller wonky stars for the next baby!
On to the next project!