Another baby quilt completed and given to the expectant mum. I called this one Log Candy as it is an improv log cabin block in candy colours. Some of you will have seen my works in progress post where I was working out the sequencing. My original idea was to do 1/4 log cabins and have them face outward, but I decided it worked better matching up the logs in different colours. The mum stipulated not too much pink, so I added other colours to match the flowers.
The main grey floral fabric is a Kaffe Fassett called Grey Guinea Flowers and the larger grey/white ovals in the border are from the Bella collection by Lotta Jansdotter. I have recently started using grey and really like how well it “plays” with other colours.
Once again I was startled by how yellow can take-over a design. I discussed this with Bill Kerr in a colour workshop at Quiltcon – more on this in a future post.
As usual I pieced the back – this time in brighter colours picking up the aquas and reds in the prints of the clothes in the middle fabric. Unfortunately I don’t know the name of this print. I love all the miniature clothes and accessories.
I went with a thin multi-coloured stripe for the border.
The quilting is quite narrow straight line, but I didn’t quilt the coloured logs so that they stood out from the background and provided some texture.
Overall I like this one! The mum looked pleased as well (note the matching watch!)