I have two young friends, Lucy and Ryan, who I always try and make a gift as part of their Christmas stash. The first quilt I made several years ago was for Ryan’s 6th birthday, quickly followed by one for Lucy’s 8th birthday, so they have both been a key part of my recent creative endeavours.
This year I decided on some colourful pillow cases. Their mum and dad did a big house renovation this year and I’ve already made them some cushions for their bench seating.
For something that looks simple and that we see every day, I discovered that making a pillow case, the way I wanted, was quite involved. I wanted the front to have some contrasting trim and for the case to have a flap to tuck the pillow under so that it doesn’t come out.
I found some tutes on Pinterest, but I’m a bit hopeless at learning something by looking at static images, so I then tried youtube which has numerous videos. None of them were exactly what I wanted so I improvised and combined several techniques.
For the front panel I used this video from Missouri Star Quilt Co. I then searched through all my pillowcases at home and deconstructed one to work out how to make the back that I wanted. By combining the two methods I came up with this!
I love the result and that I now have a new skill. Lucy is a cat lover and has been to Japan – hence my choice of fabric.
- Michale Miller Ta Dots in Bubble Gum
- The back is a Michael Miller solid in Mint
- The main front fabric is “a-chan border” by Alexander Henry
- Orange trim is a Kona cotton
Of course Pepe had to help out with the fabric selection, especially as the feature fabric had black cats on it.
I hope you are having fun with some holiday stitching.