So far, so good

Hello friends and welcome to another year.  My, how time flies when you are having fun.  I had a relaxing break over the Christmas period – some time with family, friends, my beloved Cosmo and Pepe and lots of reading, playing tennis and some creating and sewing.

I’ve now been back at work for two weeks and am gearing up to another busy year. Unfortunately I’m not going to Quiltcon this year so I don’t have that to look forward to although I am thinking of a quilty/sewing trip later in the year.

I can now reveal the secret sewing project I was working on for the latter part of 2016 – it was for a friend in Brisbane who has been experiencing some health problems and it was gifted at Christmas to a happy recipient.

Processed with MOLDIV

I must admit I am having trouble recalling my initial concept for this quilt apart from wanting a summer garden and cool colours (unusual for me) because Brisbane gets very hot.  I had some success, but those bright pinks still managed to find their way in there. I ended up making economy blocks which I haven’t done before and have now added another skill to my repertoire. This quilt also stretched my skill in using prints, but all in all I think it was a successful outcome.

1855As you can see I used a variety of florals, solids and some tone on tones. I then added some corner blocks using pieces from a recent Kaffe Fassett panel. The green solid was chosen to coordinate with the green leaf in the corner panels – who knew I was a trend setter just before the announcement of the Pantone colour of the year – Greenery. Not the correct tone, but on trend nevertheless!

image.jpegI had great trouble getting decent photos because I didn’t have and “quilt holder-uppers” around on the days I finished it which was just before I flew to Brisbane.

imageFor the back I used some Tula Pink and some Anna Maria Horner with a couple of coordinating Kona solids.

I have now started on a 52 week project for 2017 inspired by the Brooklyn Haberdashery Instagram feed and have chosen to do a Brigitte Giblin Tessellations quilt as an EPP project. I’m still deciding on colours so I’m trying out the first rounds of a couple blocks before I commit to stitching.

imageThis is one I tried last night which got lots of likes on Instagram so I think it’s a winner!

Plus another work colleague’s baby girl has entered the world and another baby quilt is in the wings – all in all it’s been a creative start to the year.  I hope yours has been too. I have a couple of new books to share, but I will leave that til next time.

Happy creating everyone.

Lois

I’ve been stitching

It’s amazing what can be achieved  over a long week-end and I’ve been very productive over the past two weeks and have finished both baby quilts which need to be gifted in early November.

imageI finished the wonky star quilt  which I called “Starry, Starry Night”. I  quilted around each square and then echo quilted around each wonky star. This was the first time I had tried to do this and was very pleased at how it turned out.imageI also love the frisky foxes fabric on the back which came from my stash.  I tend to buy a few fabrics which I think will work for baby quilts and keep them in my stash for unexpected events!

Details for “Starry, Starry Night”:

  • A variety of fabric from the stash for the star points.
  • Mostly a range of Kona solids for star centres and the border panels.
  • The main backing fabric of the foxes was Urban Zoologie by Ann Kelle for Robert Kaufman fabrics.
  • 43″ square

I had planned to make the second one as a medallion quilt with a print of city terrace houses as the centre with some wonky stars as the sky above.  After working on it and piecing a roadway  for the bottom, it just wasn’t working – so I abandoned it and started again.

After digging  through my stash I found two fabrics which I thought would work – and “Zebra Stripes” was born.

imageI really love how this came together and how the pop of the Tula Pink fabric really lifts the front.

I also think the back is pretty cool (I’m obviously a cat lover 🙂 ).image

Some details for Zebra Stripes:

  • Zebra fabric is Mini Zebras – Michael Miller fabrics
  • Top and bottom fabric band is  Crush in strawberry by Tula Pink
  • Backing fabric is Cats and Dots -Michael Miller fabrics
  • 44″ square

I’m now looking forward to a short trip to Melbourne on 20th October to see the Making the Australian Quilt Exhibition 1800-1950 at the National Gallery of Victoria. It’s the first time that many of the quilts have been exhibited and it’s great to see quilts getting the recognition they deserve in such a beautiful venue.  I’m sure a little fabric shopping will be fitted into the itinerary as well :).

Hoping you all have something interesting planned – happy stitching until next time.